16 May 2007

3 Republican Candidates Support Torture!?!

It surprised me when I caught a piece of this at a restaurant last night. I thought I heard these people wrong. I went and looked it up on YouTube today and this is what I found:

During last night's GOP debate, Brit Hume set up a hypothetical situation in which 3 terrorist attacks occur at shopping malls in major cities. A fourth attack is thwarted and that would-be attacker, who we "know" has information about an impending, larger attack is captured and taken to Guantanamo Bay. The candidates were asked if "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques", including waterboarding, should be used to get information from the detainee.

All three said torture is acceptable!

McCain said he would use torture in the hypothetical situation presented. He said it would be a "million to one" scenario, but he would authorize and then railed on using torture.

Giuliani said, with no qualms, he would use "enhanced interrogation techniques" including waterboarding (to applause).

Mitt Romney said that he doesn't want them to have access to lawyers. He then said that,
"Some people have said we should close Guantanamo. My view is, we ought to double Guantanamo. (Lots of applause.) There is no question that in a setting like that where you have a ticking bomb and the president, not the C.I.A. interrogator, but the President of the United States has to make the call and enhanced interrogation techniques HAVE to be used, not torture, but enhanced interrogation techniques. Yes."


These people are running for president?

No comments: